Welcome to another addition of ramblings of a normal guy. This is my special column where I go off on wild rants complaining about the things that happen and effect my (and ours) every day life. Because of the excessive amounts of stupidity that will be featured, a large amount of inappropriate language will most likely be used. Also expect a large helping of calling out and "I don't give a crap". Rated M for mature, and read at your own risk.
You've been warned by the way, there will be lots of cursing or/and offensive comments.
I hope you will pardon me if I open this post with a "back in my day" moment. You see, I was born around the same time as the modern internet. That would be AOL 1.0 kids. Having grown up with the internet, I'm no stranger to the activities and questionable things people do there. But as I grow older, I grow more and more concerned by a pattern I am seeing. I watch the younger generation become addicted to twitter, myspace, facebook and more. They put their personal lives on full display then complain when people comment on it. I would think if you want something kept private, you wouldn't put it on a public forum. Same with being left alone. If "something really bad happened, but I don't want to talk about it", then keep it to yourself, not Facebook. It gets even worse when it comes to opinions. To many of the younger (and even older) generations, they are starting to think opinions are the same as fact. They will make a statement, then expect everyone to agree with it, then cry is someone dare speaks against it. With this type of disturbing attitude allowed to fester and grow, they become one of the worse things this world can produce... the attention whore. The attention whore is a pervasive pattern of excessive emotionality and attention seeking, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:
- Is uncomfortable in situations in which he or she is not the center of attention. Will produce videos or make up drama in order to get said attention back.
- Interaction with others is often characterized by "hey look at me, me me me me me". Any deviation away from them will result in child like tantrums.
- Will often try to downplay or belittle others then cry, complain and act hurt when their plans do not net them more attention.
- Will often expect others to do as they want (all the time) because they are the center.
- Displays rapidly shifting and shallow expression of emotions. Will often use said emotions to play overdone or made up drama for even more attention.
- Will use physical appearance, attitude, ideology or some form of "religion" to draw attention to self.
- Has a style of speech that is excessively impressionistic and lacking in detail. Otherwise known as "Talking a lot but saying nothing."
- Shows self-dramatization, theatricality, and exaggerated expression of emotion. Will also use other legitimate misfortune or situation to draw attention to themselves.
- Is suggestible and will often join any social/political/religious group that gives them attention.
- Considers relationships to be more intimate than they actually are.
- Will use "selective memory" or completely rewrite the past in order to make themselves appear more than they are.