Monday, February 18, 2013

Ramblings of a Pagan Guy: Really Fox? Really?

Over the years, I have found that many a person has this strange idea when it comes to the Pagan faiths. It as if, you know as soon as one converts, they [the pagan] are thrown back to the middles ages. People have this rather quirky notion that pots and pans turn into wands and broomsticks, that tables and chair turning to sacrificial altars and stone circles. At best, many people think that once one devotes themselves to the God and Goddess, reality bleeds away is magically replaced with Hogwarts schools and Weasly like houses. At worse, they believe that our God and Goddess are just whores, or the Christian devil. With this miniblog series, it is my hope to not only document my time growing as a Pagan, but to address these and many more misunderstood concepts so that we will be see as people. We are not the demons some people try to make us out to be.
 

Keeping touch with various liberal and progressive groups on facebook, as well as there respected news sites, I get a lot of stories that make my head hurt. In fact, it's getting to the point where I just want to stop following everything all together. I'm sick of the political undertones, of the opinions being regarded as facts, and anyone with a over sized mouth is automatically right. But until the day when I finally throw up my hands and say to hell with it all, I must press on. After all, being a good red blooded Irish American I can always fancy myself a drink, a love of life, red heads and a good fight.

So we press on. 

When the muse hits me and I write my ramblings for what ever reason, I try to be direct and least insulting as possible, especially when it comes to religion. While having a go with the "elect" members of the WBC, I must know and remember they do not represent all of the followers of Christ. Just like pedophiles, "holy" murders and so on. The moment I forget myself and this, I become no better than them. Do I slip up from time to time? Sure I am only human after all, and to claim perfection on my part would just be stupid. But like I said, I know who the good ones are, who the bads ones are, and never willingly apply the few to the whole.

But you know what really pisses me off? Like "Omg I just my hot topic membership card, I am so Wiccan now." piss me off? When we have grown adults, who are responsible and portray "fair and balanced" aura on national TV, resemble nothing more than a pack of immature children in order to obtain ratings and attention. Honestly if all you are after is cash, then please refrain from calling yourself fair and balanced reporters of the news. But what the hell am I talking about? On February 15th, Fox and Friends aired what contained one the biggest demonstration of ignorance I have seen this year. Not only do the openly mock another faith, my faith, while whining about being persecuted, they do with mirth seen at good times with friends. How professional of them...

The whole thing was so horribly wrong and painful to watch, that I'm not even sure I'll get to it all in this posting... but I shall try me best.




                                                                  The video in question.


Oh Mother Goddess, giver of life and worker of the forge, give me strength to deal with humanity and it's great amounts of stupid... When I first viewed the above, you can say I was annoyed at it with a "what ever" attitude attached. After all, I thought this was just another case of some stuck up religious nitwit with a big mouth and some air time. Do a search on youtube and you can find a million other videos with the lack of intelligence. But as I watched it again, and then again, paying attention to each of her words, my blood really began to boil. This person portrays herself as doing a favor for us... what she is doing is showing just how much more real Christians need to do to clean up the members of their faith. The amount of under handed insults she makes, and her utter audacity in the way she tells us we should be grateful for her expert advice, makes me sick to my stomach. People like this.... well there is no curse in the tongues of man, elves or ents to properly state how I feel about her. But for my readers who many not honestly get it, who may not understand just how many underhanded insults there are, or just want to see me go off on a rant...

I'm going to break down this video just like I did the WBC ones, and also glaze over the fact she thinks Pagans and Wiccans are the same thing.

What they said: "How many Wiccans are there? Is that a big religion? No not may, but maybe you and I should go for it, we get a heck of a lot more days off."

The first thing that came to mind upon hearing this, was to send a long letter explaining how we don't let idiots into our faith just so they can have extra day, just like Catholics aren't all about the money. What I managed to conjurer up (and still haven't revived a response for) is the following;

"Dear Fox News,

While we are always welcoming additional members in the Pagan faith, we regret to decline your application. This decline is based on the understanding that you lack not only wit and intelligence, but just want to exploit us for days off. This is not a reason to convert or adopt any faith and I strongly suggest you reevaluate yourself and your deep desire to exploit things for personal gain." 

After that, I hit up Google quickly to see what the census reports say about our numbers. The closest thing I could find was a 2011 report stating their where 700k Pagans in America. Not bad considering we still live in a time when we still can't be open about our faith all the time. But for a moment, let's forget about numbers. Because honestly, what do numbers matter when it comes to faith? When did faith become a popularity contest? When did faith become "oh look I have more followers then you, I must be right!" Not only does that make you look increasingly stupid and shallow, but opens you up to a whole can of worms. How would she, as a member of such a outright majority religion, address pedophile priests and what seems to be the church's reluctance to do anything about it? Would she agree with the Archbishops that all lawsuits should be dropped because they have ill effects on the church? See I can relate stupid crap to faith as well! Go me! Numbers do not determine validation or even invalidation. It just means more people believe in some particular path than another. And honestly, if she think numbers is even a consideration in the authenticity of any faith, she really has big mental problems. Find Christ Tammy, you really need him in your life.
 
What he said: "20% of the holidays listed in the MU holiday guide are Wiccan, what's going on here? That seems bizarre."

When you work with children, you not only get a lot of joy out of it, you also get a lot of headaches too. There is always a lot that must be done, a lot that must be cared and watched over, and every moment can become a teaching lesson in life. Having worked with kids and know how their brain work,  Mr Carlson's comments come as little surprise to me. You see as any parent, guardian or babysitter will tell you, our younger generation lives in a type of bubble world that can be a blessing and a curse. Assuming normal circumstances, our children have everything handed to them, and their happiness a top priority. And what parent wouldn't do anything for a smile on their kids face? Sometimes, this can cause a spoiled or "I'm the center of the universe" type attitude. Tolerating just for a time, we (as in parents) work hard to prepare them properly for the world ahead. So it is... let's go with disconcerting, when we she such childish behavior emulated in adults. Mr Carlson, one would have thought that after the elections and just how badly you "predicted" the election results, that your bubble world would have been discarded as utter silliness. I guess I was wrong.
Mr Carlson, I would like to introduce a new world into your vocabulary. It's a scary word true, but with time, I think you can handle it. The word is inclusion. That is, despite differences in age, sex, race, or religious beliefs, all are welcome to practice without being mocked or degraded. Sure we may disagree, but rights should never be trampled on. I know crazy right? In a world of six billion people, not everyone is going to agree with you or even share in your narrow view of the world. There will be people of different social, political and religious thinking who believe they are just as right as you are. Sure this can cause some drama down the road, but as long as we remember we are all human, and all should be granted respect, then humanity will be stronger with this inclusion.

Regrettably, this means you will have to abandon your bubble world that has you as center of attention, but even you will be better for it. 
 
 What she said: "Look I'm a big fan of people living lives that best suit them, and uh I don't know any Wiccans, maybe on a really bad day I might turn into one, I'm not sure...."

When making a effort to convince a audience (either in person or on TV) that you are all for inclusion and free religious pratice, it's generally not a good idea to follow such a statement with a insult found in most grade schools. When you have to resort to cheap insults, then you succeed in only making yourself the fool. To degrade others in such a manner, is not the sign of a enlightened person, no matter how much you try to make yourself out on TV. Would she find it acceptable to say "Well I'm all for Catholics, but since they rape kids I hate them." Since it's a complete rubbish and untrue statement, I would assume no. Do unto others remember Tammy?

Yet is still amazes me really, how they all all sit there, televised on a station that claims "fair and balanced" with a straight face. It amazes me how they can say so many things, and how they are huge fans of people living their lives the way they want, and then moments later insult their way of life as nothing. What's with the cheap menstrual joke? That's not being mature, it's not being professional, and it's not being fair and balanced. It's being a prissy jerk that I abandoned back in grade school.  


What she said after: "...but you know what I think this is? It's really it's it's actually i think its about people who are not chirstians, you know the majority, Christians, Jews, Muslims, this is the majority of Americans, certiantly a majority of americans are christain well close to 80% at this point..."

I have to apologize for for any mistakes above. Her bumble mumbling made it exceedingly difficult to transcript what the hell she was saying. You would think something who is this "educated" and works on the radio would be able to speak well. And what the hell does she keep looking at? So listen little lady, you really need to go home, you're obviously drunk. You can't even complete a sentience without inserting some demented pissing contest thing in it. Your host is really no better, but let's not digress to that yet. When speaking about religion, if you must throw out you are a majority religion (protip: you shouldn't) then you only need to say it once, maybe twice. Congrats, numbers don't mean shit if you lack true faith in your heart. Any way, you do not have to mention majority this and that every other word like some self important git. What do you hope to accomplish? That you have a ego you can't control? That you are somehow better than everyone else because your a majority? Yea that doesn't work in the real world... you know that thing you need to join. While we are on this, what possible faith connection could you find between a over inflated ego about Christianity and the Pagan faiths? You have one God, we have many. You believe earth was given to you, to do as you please. We believe that everything is alive, and we must work with the Earth not against it. You erect church as your place of worship, the outdoors is our church. We let both sexes serve in rituals, while only some sects allow women to be priest. Some of us like to skyclad, many of  you think nakedness is a sin. We also allow homosexuals in, and I won't even bother to say what Fox has said about that. I could go on and on, but I think everyone gets the point. We both have our good, we both have our bad and we both have our differences. Just because we are different does not make one or the other inherently bad. Open up that holy book of yours, it even says it in there.

Sigh.

You also have the audacity to say that Jews and Muslims fall under the Christian umbrella. I'm honestly not sure if this stems from ignorance or just ego, but either way you are insultingly wrong. Seriously, how completely mental do you have to be to make that connection? Jews, who predate your faith by a thousand or so years and suffered more than you ever will, do not believe Jesus is the son of your God and still are waiting for the savior. They do not follow the commands of the pope and actually find some of his practices hateful. They also are pretty good with the peace and love part, something you fakes still as of yet to grasp. With Muslims, perhaps you have heard "there is only one God and Mohammad is his prophet"?

Or are you still to busy thinking they are all terrorist?


What she said after that: "...but the fact is it's less about elevating other religions and individuals and more about diluting the dynamic about what's imporant in peoples lives. 

By this point in the video, my Irish blood was boiling so much that I think my face was on fire. I was also flinging profanities at my monitor like explosions occur in a Die Hard movie. Seriously this is her example of how a person who is accepting acts? How a educated person acts? Rubbish, all rubbish. But hey with such a high point hit so quickly, the rest of the video wouldn't be as insulting right? .... right?

The pagan faiths are, by large, about connecting with our natural world, the divine and seeing the beauty of life in all things. We respect all life and do our best to do no harm, you know what the non-jerk Christians do too. These things are important in our lives, they reflect how we live our lives and interact with others. Let me say that again, these things are important in our lives. How is that diluting in any way? How is actually living and following the things that are important to us diluting? And Tammy dear, do you even know what dynamic means? It means ever flowing, ever changing, NOT static. What does this mean? It means that just because you are part of some made up attention seeking religion that you claim is Christianity, it doesn't mean you are right. They do not have the sole right to dictate what is important in peoples lives and what they should care about. Hell you're not even a religious leader, so what are you doing commenting like that anyway?
 
Sadly I already know what your reasoning will be, because I have heard it a million times before. It's because you believe your holy book gives you the right to say anything and insult everyone not like a carbon copy of you. First and foremost, if you honestly think Jesus intended the bible to be used as a personal ego boost, stop shoving it down peoples throats and read it for once. Don't go all cry baby on me saying you have, because chances are you haven't. There is a reason actual studies show Atheists know more about the bible than Catholics do. But for now, let me give you a few good tid bits from it. Jesus, the guy you claim to follow, suffered died and on the third day rose from the dead to use his blood to cleanse us of our sins,  not so you could be a self important douche. You will also find that he was not only humble to a fault, used is time to help others, and not cry and whine about a store sign at Christmas.

But if you are just looking for a yelling match, I'll give you that. All the stuff that your book says Jesus did? Pagan Gods did it first, sometimes thousands of years before he did... and they say they are right as well.

Boom. 

What they said: "Look i think if you are Wiccan or pagan type you're really anti-establishment. I don't think you need the establishment to recognize you. That's a really good point."

Oh darn, you found us out. That's right everyone, Tammy found out our deep dark evil secret. We Wiccans and Pagans are nothing more than a bunch of sex crazed, church burning anarchists that just want to watch the world burn as we drink and make love to our hereto and homosexual partners. Que eye roll animation here. Oh but wait, if we look outside your little bubble world we see that your statement is utter bs. Seriously, anti-establishment? Ok sit down Tammy, this is going to come as a huge shock to you. Little princess, believe it or not we Pagans work, love, live and and fight for America. We work in shops, gas stations, as IT's and clerks. We love our friends and neighbors and take a mate when the time is right, if it ever is. We worship in peace and do no harm to life. This is who we are and we love our (sometimes) dysfunctional country. You may recall when your own news station reported when a group of us "anti-establishment" Wiccans went to DC to sweep away the negativity so Obama could start fresh? So take a moment to think,  why would we want to bring down the country that supports us?

You then go on to say that we don't need the establishment to recognize us. Re-watch your interview Tammy, actually pay attention. With your completly and utter lack of care for any faith that is not your own, do you think any minority religion would do well? Do you honestly think people like yourself would be able to hold back from mocking, discriminating and eliminating us from your bubble perfect world? Since you can't even do it in a three minute clip, I shall assume no. So yea, we do need the establishment to recognize us so we have legal protection aginst small minded egotical bigots like yourself.

Oh yea, we are protected and recognized under the law, deal with it. 

 What he said: "I would like to do a poll, who could name 8 Wiccan holidays, I don't think your average Wiccan could." 

Samhain, Yule, Imbolic, Ostara (my favorite), Beltane (my favorite with a red head), Litha, Lammas and Mabon.

What she said: "Look Halloween is their new year. So I guess you get Halloween off now."

Look, Halloween is not the new year. Halloween is the day kids (and many awesome adults) play dress up for free candy. Samhain, and is the third and final Harvest. The dark winter half of the year commences on this Sabbat. It is generally celebrated on October 31st, but some traditions prefer November 1st. It is one of the two "spirit-nights" each year, the other being Beltane. It is a magical interval when the mundane laws of time and space are temporarily suspended, and the Thin Veil between the worlds is lifted. Communicating with ancestors and departed loved ones is easy at this time, for they journey through this world on their way to the Summerlands. It is a time to study the Dark Mysteries and honor the Dark Mother and the Dark Father, symbolized by the Crone and her aged Consort.

Originally the "Feast of the Dead" was celebrated in Celtic countries by leaving food offerings on altars and doorsteps for the "wandering dead". Today a lot of practitioners still carry out that tradition. Single candles were lit and left in a window to help guide the spirits of ancestors and loved ones home. Extra chairs were set to the table and around the hearth for the unseen guest. Apples were buried along roadsides and paths for spirits who were lost or had no descendants to provide for them. Turnips were hollowed out and carved to look like protective spirits, for this was a night of magic and chaos. The Wee Folke became very active, pulling pranks on unsuspecting humans. Traveling after dark was was not advised. People dressed in white (like ghosts), wore disguises made of straw, or dressed as the opposite gender in order to fool the Nature spirits. Various other names for this Greater Sabbat are Third Harvest, Samana, Day of the Dead, Old Hallowmas (Scottish/Celtic), Vigil of Saman, Shadowfest (Strega), and Samhuinn. Also known as All Hallow's Eve, (that day actually falls on November 7th), and Martinmas (that is celebrated November 11th), Samhain is now generally considered the Witch's New Year. If you're Christian, you also happen to call it All souls days, day when you remember the ones who have passed and pray for them.  

We call that a burn by the way....

What she then said: "you know there is ten of them (holidays) and they out number all the other..."

Ms Tammy, might I suggest a trip to the wizard of Oz, if you ask nicely he may be able to grant you a brain. With it you can see that ten is not the same as eight. I wish you the best of luck in this journey. As a side note, later in the show one of your co-hosts makes the mention multiple times that we MU makes inclusion for twenty pagan holidays instead of the eight mentioned. Perhaps they can follow you to the land of OZ and learn that twenty percent does not equal eight either. Oh and before we move on to your next point, I would like to point out that Christianity has 192 days of celebration, not including days of prayer or "instead of a unity week lets pray to god instead". So no, we evil Wiccans and Pagans don't outnumber you. Your "more than everyone else" penis is till bigger.

Another deep sigh.
Then she said:  "You know religions, actual religions. " 

Deep. Breath...

Remember when Tammy said she respected all faiths and how people live? Remember when Fox claimed to be fair and balanced? Yea good times...  Anywho guys, welcome to America, a land founded on religious freedom for all people, not just you. You know the amendment that states freedom of religion? How about the court case that established Wicca as a legally recognized religion? Of course you have, you guys over at Fox are all about the proper rule of law! So then why the comment? Maybe you should consider moving or joining a faith that actually enforces its "loving" nature.

 What she said: "There are ways that people can take off for their specials, but your going to get looked at funny if you ask for Halloween off." 

I wonder how she would respond if she was forced to take vacation days for taking off for Christmas. Judging from her attitude this whole time, not to mention how other people act on Fox, I'm going to guess not very well. So then why resort to yet another insult about people asking for the same thing? We don't want special treatment, we don't want special rules or anything silly like that. We only want what you have enjoyed for so long. Why is this a bad thing?

What she said: "I do think its insulting if you are a wiccan or pagan."

If you want to see something that is truly insulting, replay your interview. If you want me to put it into context for you, I'll be happy to do that as well.

What she said: "And besides if your atheists or even a pagan isn't every day a holiday? If your celebrating nature that's a every day experience."

It is highly encouraged that each day be glory of the lord (in this case Christ). Each moment should be a reflecting and emulation of the life Christ so the world can know just how great and loving he is. So then Tammy, if you are bound (or should be bound) by such advice and teachings, why are you insulting others for doing the same? And why the hell do you think atheists are religious? Do you have a computer or smart phone? Google what you say before you open your mouth and look like a total idiot. They don't believe in God or any divine figure. Gods above, someone introduce this woman to Wikipedia!

What she said: "Only a country that has been to rich for to long could be this frivolous... *reads MU statement on inclusion* So they hate Orthodox Christianity. " 

Wut...

Really? Like really really? Ok you know what, screw Fox News, screw the rest of the blog and screw this git. There is only so much stupid I can take before I want to punch a wall.. and that was a few comments ago. If you want to piss and moan about how your so discriminated against, while discriminating against others, do it on your own time. I'm sick of hearing about some fake war on Christmas, on how everyone hates Christianity and how you're all going to be locked up, when none of this crap isn't actually happening. Keep this crap to your own churches, don't lie to the public just for attention.

No wait, you know one more comment....

What she said: "This is about Wiccan's and Pagan being used for a political agenda to down grade what is important to the majority of Americans. I think this is a anti-traidition action, and I think wiccans and pagans should be angry for being used."

You are 100% right, we hate being used by Fox News for ratings. Please stop.



UPDATE:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4618588662885

If the above isn't shocking enough, you should see bill O'reilly weighing in on the "issue". Yes, that's really him, the loud mouth idiot... actually being civil and fair about it. Perhaps all the doomsday people are right, the end is near >_>

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness... **facepalm**
    I have to be honest--I watch Fox. I'm conservative. But when something like that happens, I must say: "What the frack is wrong with you people?!"
    This is why I never watch Fox&Friends.
    I subscribe to The Blaze instead. :)
    Blessings to you, my friend! Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete